I taught three classes this week, yay! 🙂
Tuesday night was Muscle Power, right after Liz’s Kix of course! My typical Tuesday night double sessions are my favorite. I want this t-shirt so I can wear it on Tuesday nights.
Wednesday night I subbed for Ed’s spin class. I haven’t taught (or taken!) spin in a long time, so it was great to be back at it and switch it up for my muscles. My legs are definitely feeling it today.
This morning was Burn & Build (cheesy alliterative fitness class name). This one is my weekly 6am class before my 9-5 workday, and pretty much the reason why I need to eat lunch around 10:30 am every single Thursday!
Side Note – The Y has been a mob scene! There were at least 6 people in line yesterday ready and waiting with their BuyWithMe deals. If you got one and are going to redeem it before doing a class, make sure to get there nice and early!
My workouts went extra well this week. Not sure if it’s because I was out of my regular “routine” last week while I was in New York and I’m just excited to be back in the swing of things, or if it’s because I made three new CD’s for each of my classes. Yes, I still rock CD’s most of the time. Sometimes I use my iPod, but really I just haven’t gotten around to syncing all my old music with my new computer (well – newest computer that work will give me!) and transferring all my playlists. A project for the to do list, which is never-ending lately it seems.
Anyways, I figured I would share my playlists this week in case anyone was looking for some new workout music ideas! And while I’m at it, might as well share the workouts too. Enjoy!
- Move Your Body – Eiffel 65
- Black Horse & the Cherry Tree – KT Tunstall
- Poker Face – Lady Gaga
- Somebody Told Me – The Killers
- Pump It – Black Eyed Peas
- Idealistic – Digitalism (side note, this is a song from Just Dance II! One of my favorite songs to put on my playlists. Check it out! The routine on the Wii is actually a great workout, too.)
- Forget You – Cee Lo Green
- Love Shack – B52’s
- Black Train – The Brew
- Paralyzer – Finger Eleven
- Last Friday Night – Katy Perry (I’m not sick of this one yet!)
- Bugaboo – Destiny’s Child
- Dress You Up In My Love – Madonna
- Blinded When I See You – Third Eye Blind
- Look After You – The Fray
I did a Swiss Ball based class because I found a new website for new Swiss Ball workout ideas. Check it out! If you click around the website enough you can find ideas for other “themed” classes – bands, crossbow, etc. Really cool. Swiss Ball classes are GREAT for an extra core workout because they are geared toward targeting those muscles more.
Fun Athena fact: I broke my right wrist in 5th grade because I tried to stand and balance on a Swiss Ball to show off in front of my friends. Clearly I didn’t have good core strength then because I immediately fell off and snap, my wrist broke. Oh and it was April Fool’s Day so my mother didn’t believe me that I actually broke a bone. Thanks, Georgia.
Anyways, each different “combination” that I did on Tuesday night included two strength moves and one cardio interval move. We did each combo twice with little variations the second time through.
- QUADS – One legged ball lunges, keeping one foot rested directly behind the body on the ball.
- BICEPS – One legged bicep curls (standing on one leg, the other is resting on the ball in front of the body)
- CARDIO – Jumping Jacks
- REPEAT – Repeat combo using other leg. For a jumping jack variation, I had them add leg crosses.
- QUADS – Squats with ball lift to the front diagonal
- CHEST – Pushups with feet resting on the ball
- CARDIO – High knees
- REPEAT – Repeat combo, this time with a plie squat and pressing the ball forward, instead of a regular squat. We also did those new spiderman pushups I mentioned in “Gym Characters” instead of another pushup set on the ball.
- CALVES – Calf Raises, holding the ball overhead
- TRICEPS – Weighted extensions, in bridge position
- CARDIO – Jump Rope
- REPEAT – For a variation on the calf raises, we repeated with the toes turned out to the side (first position in the ballet world). For the second round of tricep work, we did one armed dips, this time sitting on the ball instead of bridging.
- CORE – Ball rollouts
- GLUTES / HAMS – Ball Reverse Bridge
- CARDIO – Mountain Climbers
- REPEAT – This time instead of rolling the ball during the Ball Reverse Bridge, I had the class balance with one foot on the ball, then bring the knee in and back to the ball, then switch legs. For Mountain Climbers, we targeted obliques instead of keeping the knees straight forward.
- SHOULDERS: Lying prone on ball, lateral raises
- CORE: Crunch series
- CARDIO: Standing jump switches
- REPEAT: For shoulders instead of a lateral raise we did a Ball Rear Deltoid Raise with elbows bent. And for the core we finished with planks on the ball, jackknifes, and pikes.
COOLDOWN / STRETCH
Playlist / Workout Combo:
- I Walk Alone – Oleander = Warmup / Stretch
- Unsung – Vanessa Carlton = Alternating fast run between high 3rd & low 3rd
- Love Song – Sara Barelis = Run in second with squat isolations
- Jump, Jive & Wail – Brian Seltzer Orchestra = Sprint intervals
- Angel of Harlem – U2 = Standing Climb
- Hot Tubs & Tool Sheds – Straylight Run = Jumps from seated to second
- Love & Memories – OAR = Run in low third, on chorus sit and spin faster
- Workin’ Day & Night – Michael Jackson = Seated run, on chorus add tension, then sprint through resistance in high 3rd.
- Just Can’t Get Enough – Black Eyed Peas = Seated climb with leg isolations
- State of Massachusetts – Dropkick Murphys = Fast run, flat road
- King of Wishful Thinking – New Found Glory = Slides
- Everybody Dance Now (Remix) – Bob Sinclair = All positions
- The Devil Went Down To Georgia – Charlie Daniels Band = Sprint
- Waiting for the Sun – The Shore = Cooldown
- Silver Lining – Rilo Kiley = Stretch
BURN & BUILD
A lot of the songs on this morning’s mix were ideas I found on another blog! Check this out – I really enjoyed reading through some of these song suggestions and I was excited for the new music today.
- Right Here, Right Now – Fatboy Slim
- Headsprung – LL Cool J
- Mr. Vain – Culture Beat (This one got a lot of smiles this morning!)
- Moves Like Jagger – Maroon 5 (New catchy favorite of mine! It’s from The Voice. )
- Jai Ho – A.R Rahman
- Round & Round – Bodyrockers
- Hot – Smash Mouth
- Stoned in Love – Chicane
- Funhouse – Pink (Three notes for this one – First, inspired by Jen’s Muscle Madness mix a few weeks ago! Second, for other instructors – it’s hard to count during this song when Pink is counting down as part of the lyrics. Third, can’t get this out of my head today!)
- OMG – Usher
- She Wolf – Shakira
- Give Me Everything – Pitbull (because I just can’t get enough of this song!)
- Love Generation – Bob Sinclair
- The Edge of Glory – Lady Gaga
- Dance Like This – Wyclef Jean
- Little More Time – ZOX
- Australia – The Shins
This morning I did a similar style class as Tuesdays with the two strength and one cardio move per combination. Today’s theme used a step instead of a Swiss Ball though.
- CARDIO – Jump Rope (with actual ropes, there were enough to go around this morning!)
- LEGS: Around the World Combo. Forward lunge onto step, side step into squat, back lunge – repeat on same side throughout step.
- BICEPS: Regular curls, then continue on one arm while holding the other halfway.
- REPEAT: With other leg & other bicep isolation
- CARDIO – Run Ups on the Step
- GLUTES/ SHOULDERS – Standing on step, glute lifts & front raise (1 leg)
- CHEST – Pushups with one hand on step, one hand on floor
- REPEAT – With other leg for the glute lift, and other hand up on step for pushups
- CARDIO – Over the Step
- OUTER THIGH / SHOULDERS – Standing on step, side leg lift with lateral raise
- TRICEPS – Dips on step
- REPEAT – Facing other side for over the step, other leg for leg lift
- CARDIO – Jump Rope again
- BACK – Standing Dumbbell Rows
- CORE – Seated bicycle twist
- REPEAT – Other arm for rows
- CARDIO – Jumping Jacks
- CHEST – With step on incline, overhead press
- CORE – Keep step on incline, roll backs
- REPEAT – Chest flies instead of press
FLOOR WORK – Finished with one of the Cutz abs routine, inner thigh, and holding the plank for one minute.
COOLDOWN / STRETCH
I think my body is ready for some yoga this weekend after my classes this week!
Let me know if you have any questions about any of these moves, happy to break them down further if necessary.