New recipe for you guys… these would be fun to bake for Valentine’s Day this week!
Mini Strawberries & Cream Cupcakes
Recipe adapted from Baking Bites
For the cupcakes…
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup strawberry purée, from about 1 cup of whole strawberries! (about 1 cup whole, fresh berries)
- Extra strawberries, diced, for topping
For the vanilla buttercream frosting…
Mixed all together:
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 24 cup mini muffin tin with paper liners or lightly grease.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, applesauce, and salt — I used my new immersion blender for this!
- Add in the egg and strawberry purée. Pulse until the batter comes together.
- Divide batter into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting. Top with diced strawberry pieces.
I loved the strawberry flavor baked directly into the cupcakes instead of just as a topper. They were so tasty and tasted just like strawberries and cream. The only thing I didn’t like about how this recipe came out is that they were sticking a bit to the cupcake wrappers. I think maybe it had something to do with substituting the butter for unsweetened applesauce? I’m not sure.
I made these to bring to Slesh & Will’s New Year’s Eve party, which seems so long ago already! They were a hit, even if people had to lick the bottom of the cupcake right from the wrapper.
Are you making or baking anything yummy for Valentine’s Day this week?
Not gonna lie, I spent about an hour browsing through Valentine’s Day dessert recipes on Sunday afternoon. Pinterest and Martha Stewart got the best of me!