Lately I’ve pretty much been deciding what recipes to post on the blog based off of reader requests after I post my Weekly Eats posts. A couple of weeks ago my friend Lauren asked if I could share the recipe for my lemon farro salad with chicken. Here you go, Lauren!
Lemon Farro Salad with Chicken
Recipe inspired by/adapted from Cooking Light
- 1 cup farro
- 1 cup of cooked skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp grated lemon rind
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- s&p to taste
- Cook farro according to package directions. Drain and place in a large bowl.
- Cook chicken per your liking — grill, stir fry, roast, etc. We grilled until internal temp was 160, then cut the chicken pieces up into cubes.
- While farro and chicken cook, combine the lemon rind, lemon juice, evoo, s&p, garlic, and honey.
- Drizzle juice mixture over the farro and toss to coat.
- Add chicken and the cucumber, pepper, onions, and dill. Toss gently to combine.
- Sprinkle with goat cheese and enjoy!
If you are someone who eats a lot quinoa or barley, I’m pretty willing to bet you will also be a huge farro fan. For me, farro has been a nice change of pace from quinoa since I eat quinoa ALL the time. My go to farro is from Trader Joe’s because it’s cheap and cooks quickly. I’ve made a few other salads with it before, but this one is my favorite because it really absorbs the lemon flavor and it tastes so fresh. This recipe is perfect for making lunch ahead of time or for a quick grab and go dinner.
Do you eat farro? Any farro recipes you’d like to share?
Hope everyone has a fabulous Sunday! Tim and I are off to the SOWA Open Market today to check out what it’s all about!