A couple of weekends ago, I hosted my gym friends over my apartment for a Fall Fest party. One of the dishes I made was a butternut squash casserole. Due to high demand, here’s the recipe for it! With the addition of gnocchi and kale, this dish is comforting for a chilly fall day, but it still packs a nutritious punch.
Butternut Squash Casserole with Gnocchi and Kale
Recipe adapted from The Food Network
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium butternut squash – peeled, seeded, cubed
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2.5 cups of broth or water
- 1 large bunch of kale, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 2 packages of potato gnocchi (17.5 ounces each)
- grated Parmesan cheese to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- While the oven is heating, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the squash and cook, stirring, until slightly soft and golden, about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, and salt.
- Cook until the garlic is soft, about 2 more minutes.
- Add the broth or water to the skillet. When it starts to simmer, stir in the kale and cook until slightly wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Add the gnocchi and stir well. Cover and cook until the gnocchi are just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the contents to a casserole dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan and bake in the pre-heated oven for about 10-15 minutes or until golden and bubbly.