Hey guys. I’ve taken a little hiatus from my daily blogging this week, mainly because I really needed to just step away from the computer a bit and spend a little more time in the kitchen/with Tim/on the couch, but also because I have a really wacky situation going on with my finger? Out of nowhere, I started experiencing some pain in my left pointer finger where my finger meets my hand. It feels like I sprained it, but I have no idea how that could have even happened. My workouts aren’t aggravating it, but typing really hurts, which doesn’t fare well for work or for blogging. I made a doctor’s appointment with the orthopedic for next Wednesday, so I hope to get some answers then. In the meantime, it’s ice and anti-inflammatory meds up the wazoo.
Before I share my Friday Favorites with you, I wanted to let my local readers know about a few FREE workout options for the rest of the month:
- BSC Commuter Workouts: The Boston Sports Clubs teamed up with the City of Boston’s Parks and Recreation Department and the Boston Public Health Commission to create a free and open to the public outdoor workout every Tuesday until August 26th from 5:30–6:30 p.m. If interested, this group meets at Clemente Field at the Back Bay Fens (behind the scoreboard). Make sure to bring a yoga mat or towel.
- BSC Adult Summer Camp: BSC also launched a free summer camp for adults program at two of their locations. The “camp” takes place on the green grass of the UXF training zones (turf-covered functional-fitness playgrounds). The equipment provided is designed to train users and to simulate summer activities at the beach, lake, or campground. Exercises include sitting in a boat pose on a BOSU ball while rowing a body bar to work out the core and arm muscles, tossing sandbags to work the core, or working arm and leg muscles in preparation for extreme sand-sculpting. If interested, the BSC in Waltham is running this every Monday evening in August at 6:30pm, and the BSC Back Bay Prudential is running this every Wednesday evening in August at 6:00pm.
- CrossFit on the Greenway: Don’t forget about the Reebok CrossFit on the Greenway classes offered on Thursdays through 8/21! More details on my experience are in this post.
Okay, time for the links! Enjoy!
- Fun: Total body workouts you can perform with a swing set
- Beginner to kettlebells? I was too!
- An exercise I don’t do enough of: 5 tips to improve your turkish get-ups
- Definitely using this in class soon: Booty blaster finisher
- Good info: The art of the deload
- How to: Medicine ball slams
Foodie & Recipes
- Yum: Tomato and zucchini frittata
- Good tips: Vegan freezer friendly food and tips for freezing
- Can’t get enough of these summer flavors: Zucchini, corn, and avocado salsa
- Want immediately: Peanut butter cookie dough dip
- Some good ideas in this round-up: Recipes for healthy snacking
- Read and learn: Pros and cons of the Paleo diet
- So simple! Almond butter date snack cake
- Need: Slow cooker BBQ peach pulled chicken
- Love me some farmers’ markets: Tips for shopping at the farmers market
Inspiration & Self Image
- This one made me emotional: On worrying
- Good tips: Advice for people in their twenties
- Ripped and miserable: How Neghar Fooni gained body fat and got her life back
- “You have the wrong body for ballet.” Think again! Inspiring Under Armour ad featuring Misty Copeland
- Good tips: How to use Google Analytics
- Would you blog if you had no readers? Living your life
And that’s it!
What’s going on in your worlds this week? What’s up for the weekend?