Tim and I are heading down the Cape this weekend with his family.
We are bringing homemade pineapple salsa with some multigrain scoops to his cousin’s house. Last time we made this salsa we actually had it with cod (SO delicious) but we enjoyed it just as much as a snack.
Here’s the recipe!
- 1/2 small pineapple, peeled, sliced 1 inch thick, and cored
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small jicama, peeled and finely chopped (we didn’t put this in)
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 fresh red chiles, finely diced (we didn’t use these either – I don’t like spicy!)
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablepoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brush the pineapple and bell pepper with 2 tablespoons of the canola oil
- Grill the pineapple until golden brown on both sides, about 6 minutes
- Grill the bell pepper until charred on all sides, 8 – 10 minutes
- Remove the pineapple from the grill and cut into small dice
- Remove the bell pepper from the grill, put it in a bowl, and cover. Let sit for 10 minutes before peeling, seeding, and finely dicing the pepper.
- Combine the pineapple, bell pepper, jicama (optional), onion, chiles (optional), vinegar, olive oil, and basil in a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper.
Have a great weekend!